2021 Young Artists String Competition
Saturday, March 6, 2021 (tentative)
Huntington Recital Hall, Capital University
The online application will be available October 1, 2020. If you have any questions, please contact our YAC Competition Director, Karen Gardener, at (614) 541-9220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A non-refundable fee of $25 is required with the application. Entry fees can be paid via PayPal at the time you submit your application.
Please note that all entry fees MUST BE paid and an application must be submitted in order to participate in the competition.
Rules and Requirements
ELIGIBILITY: Participants must be a student on violin, viola, cello, string bass, harp or guitar. Must be age 18 (or Grade 12) or younger by March 1, 2021. Must reside and/or take music lessons in Central Ohio (Champaign, Fairfield, Franklin, Delaware, Fayette, Licking, Logan Knox, Madison, Marion, Morrow, Pickaway and Union counties). Must have teacher and parental approval.
- Memorization is optional for upper/lower string students. However, memorization is required for guitar and harp students.
- Students may choose the order in which they perform their pieces.
- First Place cash prize awards will not be split.
- The quality of the repertoire will be considered by the judges in determining the awards.
- The contestant must provide the judges with ORIGINAL SCORES of the music in performance order.
- Each score should have measures numbered.
- Provide own accompanist. (When possible, accompanists with more than one contestant will be scheduled as close as possible within the same level. If an accompanist’s name is not on the entry form, adjacent performances cannot be scheduled. Teachers/ parents are responsible for notifying accompanists of the Accompanist Schedule.
- Competition times are consecutive and approximate. Applicants will be notified after application deadline as to approximate competition time, and should check in at least thirty minutes prior to that time.
- All Award Winners are required to perform in the WMC Winners Recital. At that time the awards will be presented. Elementary, Intermediate, Junior and Senior winners will perform one piece at the discretion of the student, teacher and Chairperson.
REQUIREMENTS: Contestants may only compete in one category and must perform the amount of pieces that are required of each category. NOTE: Skills may vary by student and age. Please mark appropriate category. Ages are approximate and are there only for guidance as to category placement of student.
- Elementary (approx any age up to 9): Two contrasting pieces. Maximum time limit: 7 mins.
- Intermediate (approx age 10-12): Two contrasting pieces representing at least two historical periods. Concerto, sonata, sonatina movements or variations are encouraged. All selections must total 4 to 10 minutes in playing time.
- Junior (approx age 13-15): Three contrasting pieces representing at least two historical periods. Sonata, sonatina or concerto movements are encouraged. All selections must total 8 to 15 minutes in playing time.
- Senior (approx age 16-18): Four contrasting pieces from at least three historical periods including the contemporary. A sonata or concerto movement is required. Time limit: 10 to 20 minutes.
WINNERS AND PRIZES: All first place prizes will be awarded at the discretion of the judges. Judges have the right to select no winners. Category first place prizes as follows: Elementary: $100, Intermediate: $200, Junior: $300, Senior: $400